Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Please & Thank you

I have worked with too many “leaders” or executives that have lost sight of one leadership basic, the importance of thanking others and acting nice. Oh, sure everyone has a ceremonial certificate or a big annual recognition activity. But what I am talking about are the simple acts that make the workplace more civil. For example thanking someone who holds the door, or asking someone to “please pass” an item, or taking time to talk to the custodian and show some appreciation for his/her effort.
As leaders progress it is important that they do not loose their appreciation for others efforts. Sometimes because of the diligent work of others, they come to expect that everyone will just do what they are told. Or that they are more deserving and are some how better based on their occupational position. If this happens the leader looses some of the emotional sensitivity critical to successful personal interactions. Often cited as a lack of emotional intelligence, the general prescribed response is to conduct training.
Recently I have been trying to do better in this area of taking a moment and letting others know that I appreciate their efforts. Normally I like most of us would probably not notice their quiet behind the scenes contributions, but by putting at the front of my mind I have been better. The results have been interesting: a new friend, an inside tip of an office change, a lot more “hellos” and “how are you doing” and an increase in job performance. I have always tried to by cordial, but what I was missing was the power of thank you. So take a little time out of the day to say “Please” and “Thank You”.
Thanks

No comments: